ICRISAT seeks applications from candidates who are dynamic and highly skilled in data management, computer database applications & productivity software to assist in plant breeding activities and field research. There are two positions at ICRISAT Research Centers; one will be based in Bamako, Mali and the other in Bulawayo, Zimbabwe.
ICRISAT is a non-profit, non-political organization that conducts agricultural research for development in Asia and sub-Saharan Africa with a wide array of partners throughout the world. ICRISAT and its partners help empower those living in the semi-arid tropics, especially smallholder farmers, to overcome poverty, hunger, malnutrition and a degraded environment through more effective and profitable agriculture.
ICRISAT is headquartered in Patancheru near Hyderabad, India, with two regional hubs and five country offices in sub-Saharan Africa. ICRISAT, established in 1972, is a member of the CGIAR Consortium. For more details, see www.icrisat.org.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Support the plant breeding data management systems and digitalization in ICRISAT and the African National Agricultural Research Service partners
- Train and support breeding partners with data collection utilizing digital tools and android applications
- Assessing the basic assumptions of experimental designs and liaise with bioinformaticians at headquarters for setup of field experiments
- Oversee implementation of hand-held tools for collecting traits data in field trials using Android apps
- Assist NARS partners with uploading of data to centralized data hubs
- Work collaboratively in a team environment to implement breeding data management systems
- B. Tech (Computers) with M.Sc in Statistics/ data management/ database applications or data science
- Basic understanding of experimental design, good statistics and applied research
- Sound knowledge of applied computer system software and productivity software (Excel, Word and PowerPoint)
- Excellent communication skills are needed to work in this multi-disciplinary, multi-location and multi-cultural team
Good to have:
- Understanding of basic plant breeding concepts and processes, including crossing, generation advancement and trial designs a big plus
- Experience in breeding data management tools like BMS, AGROBASE, PRISM, etc.
- Understanding of basic troubleshooting of Android Tablets and Windows PCs
The position is a Nationally Recruited Position (NRS) for a period of One year, renewable based on performance of the incumbent, funding and the institute’s continuing need for the position.
How to apply:
Applicants should apply on or before 6 April 2020 with their latest Curriculum Vitae, and the names and contact information of three references who can ratify your professional qualifications and work experience. All applications will be acknowledged; however only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Please CLICK HERE to submit your application.
ICRISAT is an equal opportunity employer